Crisis and Recovery – UK Employment
15th May 2020
Hosted by our CEO Tom Jenkins, this webinar covered the human impact of the current crisis on UK workplaces and the employment support available to impacted businesses. It covered three main areas:
- Furlough support / redundancy issues and processes
- Exiting lockdown. Employees returning to work and making the workplace safe
- Supporting homeworking employees welfare and performance through COVID-19
- Kelly Strong, Strong Recruitment: Strong Recruitment specialises in permanent recruitment and was established by Kelly Strong in 2001 to deal specifically with the recruitment needs of UK based companies in the European inbound travel industry.
- Madeleine Thomson, Employment Protect: Madeleine is a solicitor who has specialised in employment law for 25 years. Many of her clients are in the Travel Sector although she also advises businesses in Construction, Manufacturing, Hospitality and Retail. She set up Employment Protect Limited in 2016 providing employment consultancy advice.
The law regarding furlough leave is currently untested. Because there is discrepancy between the HMRC guidance and the directions given by the Treasury, there is much room for interpretation and of course it will be for the courts to decide in due course. The guidance and suggestions provided in this webinar will be given on a strictly informal basis, based on the best current assessment of the government guidance to date. The guidelines have changed over the period of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and new guidelines concerning the extension of the scheme to the end of October and the introduction of greater flexibility into the scheme are pending, particularly relating to part-time working whilst on furlough. If you would like to rely on legal advice concerning the matters discussed today, then you should seek bespoke legal advice on a formal basis where such advice will be covered by insurance.